Tired of cutting the wood logs manually? Try using a log splitter!
A log splitter is equipment which is used for splitting wood logs. It can be either hardwood or softwood. These wood logs usually consist of an electric or hydraulic rod and piston arrangement. When you manually cut wooden logs, it takes a lot of time and energy. It would be very difficult task, if you have huge quantity of wood for cutting. This is when the importance of a log splitter comes into picture. Your job can be done very easily without much effort from your side.
Now-a-days you can see a variety of log splitters available in the market. Choosing the best one is quite difficult. To know more about how to select a good log splitter, you can go through a few log splitter reviews and buying guides that will help you.
Log splitters cut wood logs which are initially cut into small sections of wood. The performance of any log splitter is usually measured in terms of tons of force. The log splitters which are for home based have a normal rating of about 10 tons, whereas the ones used for large scale purposes, produce force of about 25 tons. If a log splitter has more force it means it has more rating.
The parts which are found in a splitter are the engine, valve, hydraulic oil pump, and a tank. The wood splitter is built in such a way that the engine is attached to the oil pump which gives the power to the engine. The hydraulic oil is stored in the tank of the splitter. The log splitter also has a filter which cleans the oil throughout the process of working. Other than hydraulic oil, electric, gas or even diesel power can also be used as a power source.
By using a log splitter you can spare all the time and energy for other work. You will also get the exact size and shape of wood logs as you desire. They are actually a long term investment device if maintained well. Using of axe to cut logs of wood might prove to be dangerous whereas using of a log splitter is much safer. An electric splitter is usually preferred over a hydraulic splitter, as it would not release any harmful gases to the environment.
Here are some of the tips you need to follow when you buy a log splitter.
- It should be comfortable to use. Usually now-a-days, the splitters are offered with stands which can be easily raised. They must be easy to handle and should preferably have an ergonomic rubber handle.
- It should be easy to move from one place to another. Look for log splitters which have wheels so that they can be easily moved from one place to another. And of course, it should have a transport handle in order to make movement easy.
- The height should be adjustable. The log splitter must preferably have a log plate which will help in height adjustment. If they are provided with clamps then it is a plus point as it makes height adjustment easier.
- Cleaning of log splitter is very important as it is necessary to keep them clean. Always keep the log splitter in a dry and clean place in order to avoid any ignition.
- Checking of all the bearings of the splitter is necessary at an interval of every 6 months.
Before you buy a log splitter make sure it has all features you are looking for. It should have all the features as mentioned by the seller. It is important to go through the reviews of the log splitters as well.